Did you know nearly 16% of Bernalillo County residents are food insecure?
- Almost 90% live in permanent housing like a home or an apartment.
- 48% choose between paying for food and paying their rent or mortgage and 19% of the group makes this tough choice every month.
- 61% choose between paying for food and utilities every month and 33% of this group makes this tough choice every month.
- 59% choose between medical care/medicine at least once in the past year and 44% said they have medical bills to pay.
- While many low income New Mexicans receive assistance through SNAP (Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program) benefits, it isn’t enough to cover all their food needs.
Source: A 2014 study conducted by Feeding America (the nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization), the New Mexico Association of Food Banks and Roadrunner Food Bank.